Wednesday 14 September 2011

Book Review: Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody


I just finished reading Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody. It has always been a book that I have wanted to read as it is a hot topic and certainly a worrying one for myself. it is based on a true story of Betty, an American woman who marries an Iranian man and ends up going with him for a 2 week holiday to Iran with their 5 year old daughter. Unfortunately for her, her husband was never planning on returning to USA, and so she is trapped in Iran and subjected to her abusive husband and his family.

To be honest, the book definitely was very drawn out, with not much really taking place until the last few chapters of the book. a lot of the book was just describing what ingredients she bought for dinner, and about her daily schedule. but i have to remind myself that this isn't a fiction novel, but an account of what really took place, so from that perspective i can see that she has to include all these mundane tasks to add to the plot as that is exactly what her existence in Iran was like; mundane at best.
the description of her surroundings is very colourful and helps you to imagine the living conditions she was in, actually after the first couple of chapters i felt a bit sick :(
I was impressed by her bravery, but also surprised that she would put her daughter in that position, when it comes to planning her escape. As much as i wouldn’t like to be stuck in a country i don’t want to be in, i don’t think i could put my child at that much risk.

All in all it was a good read, but I was left wanting to know the husbands side of the story!

4 comments:

  1. I want to read this book.

    An award for you

    http://izdiher.blogspot.com/2011/09/i-got-award.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I've always wanted to read this book as well! I didn't really like the movie... Maybe it was just Sally Fields acting LOL but it was a bit melodramatic at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the book is miles better, i watched a bit of the film and kind of felt that it made a mockery of the story, it was too americanized if you know what i mean lol and as you said it was melodramatic..

    ReplyDelete

Be nice please >_<